Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Researching Comedy

Research is a must for a production to be successful

Me and my partner Paola have decided to chose the horror/comedy genre for the beginning of our film. We both have a love for these genres and want to incorporate it in our final project. I have already conducted research on the horror genre earlier in my blog so I will focus on the research for the comedy genre in this post.

Let me start by listing a few case studies

1. Jack and Jill (2011)

This film stars Adam Sandler who play the main role as Jack and Jill by incorporating drag to switch his gender from Jack to his twin Sister, Jill. The plot follows an ad executive, Jack Sadelstein, whose life takes a turn when his annoying twin sister comes to visit for Thanksgiving. This movie includes both physical and mental humor that keeps the audience engage throughout the movie. The downfall for this movie was that many found the character Jill's voice to be annoying because it is an imitation of a girl voice that was poorly executed.


2. Pitch Perfect (2012)

This film stars Anna Kendrick as Beca, a freshman at Barden University, is cajoled into joining The Bellas, her school's all-girls singing group. Injecting some much needed energy into their repertoire, The Bellas take on their male rivals in a campus competition. Pitch Perfect uses Rebel Wilson as their main comedic factor in the movie because she plays the "weird girl" and brings a lot of laughter to the audience with her enthusiasm. This is one of the most popular comedy movies.



I decided to choose Pitch Perfect and Jack and Jill because they are films I am quite familiar in and both have different success rates to show what many find funny vs annoying. I found a website here that list all the characteristics in a comedy film that I can refer back to whenever I need a reminder. There is always one main character that makes the audience laugh so I will make sure to add that to my plot.




Sources:

“Jack and Jill (2011 Film).” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 9 Feb. 2021, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_and_Jill_(2011_film)#:~:text=Jack%20and%20Jill%20is%20a,comes%20to%20visit%20for%20Thanksgiving.

“Pitch Perfect.” IMDb, IMDb.com, www.imdb.com/title/tt1981677/plotsummary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

 Thank you for coming along on this journey with me. Here is my CCR enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkdTqSycG8c